Monday, April 8, 2013

Addicted to stone




1 I admit I am powerless over the allure of stones and dry stone walls, and that my life without them has become unmanageable

2 I believe that a power greater than myself has influenced me to see how all-consuming my need to stack stones and build walls is.

3 I have made a decision to at least try to be creative in other ways than just building with stones all day .

4 I have made a searching and fearless moral inventory of my life in regard to stone.

5 I have admitted publicly the exact nature of my love of stone

6 I am entirely ready to have this dependency on stone removed, if it is wrong.

7 I humbly ask that my impatience and obsessiveness about walling be removed too, if it bugs anyone.

8 I have made a list of all the people I may have ignored, in my passion to be close to stones, and am willing to make amends to them if necessary

9 I have made amends where possible and tried to be careful not to get carried away talking about stone walls all the time.

10 I continue to take personal inventory and when I am wrong to see a dry stone installation as the first or only solution to any gardening or landscaping question, I will promptly admit it

11 I have sought to improve my conscious contact with any higher powers, to enable me to know what the reasons and purposes are for my obsessively building with stones.

12 Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of taking these steps I accept responsibility to warn and help others who may inadvertently come under the powerful influence of stone too.




The Photo- Paul Wakefield  www.paulwakefield.co.uk 
This 14 ft dry stone bottle was built to advertise a special export malt for Johhney Walker. 
It was built by Stephen Harrison with the help of Steve Allen.

Hi, my name is John, and I'm a wall-aholic. 
I admit it.
I support my stone-habit by heaping piles of stones in any way I can.
I am completely reliant on their support. I can't do (or do it ) without them.

I've tried substituting chemicals and mortar and concrete blocks and gone to re-bars but I always go back to the hard stuff - stone.
Every time I see stones I feel this uncontrollable urge to use them.
I admit it, I'm a user.

I can't go by a stone yard with out dropping in and getting 'loaded'.
I drive around all day looking for old walls, just looking for a 'fix'.

I get so carried away creatively sometimes I don't even wall in a straight line.

I know, with the size of my stone problems, I've just gotta get some help* 

I need a 'support' group - some sort of organization.
Otherwise at the end of a day of using the stuff I just feel wasted.


I just can't say 'No' to stones.
I'm totally under their influence.
And can't seem to pull myself away from them.



I respect the fact that alcohol addiction can be a real problem for some people
and commend the resolve (and methods) of those seeking help to quit drinking.